If you are reading this, it’s either you are completely new to online sports betting or just updating yourself of the latest information in the industry. Betting online is easy, but it’s essential to understand some basics before you delve into placing bets. In this guide you’re going to find information on:
- Betting online in Nigeria
- The legality of online betting in Nigeria
- Who we are
- Best bookmakers in Nigeria
Betting Online in Nigeria
The rate of online sports betting in Nigeria has been on a high increase over the past couple of years. Advanced technology, accessible high-speed internet, and numerous online bookmakers have significantly contributed to the popularity of this pass time activity.
Many punters in Nigeria bet on popular sports like football – the most favorite -, volleyball, basketball, hockey, tennis, etc. Besides offering sports betting opportunities, the bookmakers also reward customers with different lucrative bonuses and frequent promotions to boost their chances of winning big rewards.
Additionally, Nigerian punters will be able to deposit and withdraw using local mobile banking systems. Read on to find out more.
Is Online Betting Legal in Nigeria?
Of course, yes. Online sports betting has been legal in the Republic of Nigeria for quite a while now. No one will prosecute you when you register and bet with real money at licensed bookmakers. However, like many other African countries, there is a grey area in their gambling laws.
There are two licensing authorities in Nigeria, the National Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC) and the Lagos State Lottery Board (LSLB). All betting sites are vigorously tested and vetted by experts before they are issued licenses. These bodies were set up to oversee and control the online gambling market in Nigeria.
They create stringent laws to ensure that all punters have access to a secure gaming environment. Below is a brief explanation of the function of each body:
National Lottery Regulatory Commission – NLRC
This commission was an outcome of the National Lottery Act of 2005, and it’s responsible for regulating the activities of lotteries in the country, for promoting accountability, as well as transparency and protecting the interests of all punters.
The headquarters are located in Abuja but have offices in 15 different states, including Edo, Delta, Kano States, etc. All operators applying for NLRC license must meet a long list of requirements, such as:
- A non-refundable fee of 2,000,000 Naira
- Name and profile of Director and other members
- Must have a minimum share capital of 30, 000, 000 Naira
- Evidence of domain name registration
- Information about planned games
- Information on the security system
There are numerous requirements to be met before the license can be issued.
Lagos State Lottery Board
Lagos is the heartbeat of the Nigerian economy. There are dozens of betting sites that are hosted in the state of Lagos. The commission was established back in 2004 but started operations in 2005.
Who We Are
We are a team of professional online sports betting enthusiasts dedicated to helping you find relevant information about the Nigerian market. Throughout our many years of experience, we have reviewed tons of reputable betting sites in Nigeria and the entire African market. Although we sometimes experience some challenges at times, our unity and dedication have always helped us to overcome and remain firm to our goal of making you a better gambler.
Betting Bookmakers in Nigeria
As earlier mentioned, there are numerous online sports betting sites that accept Nigerians to register and access a vast range of sports betting markets. All the bookmakers that we have shared in this guide have undergone a vigorous vetting process to ensure that they deliver the best betting experience. One of the critical attracting features is that they are optimized to be accessed across all platforms, including mobile and personal computers. Some of the thing we consider when sourcing for the best betting bookmaker in Nigeria include:
- Range of sports betting options
- Bonuses and promotional offers
- Licensing and regulation
- Availability of customer support
- Optimized for all devices
- Accepts local payment methods and currency
- Security and responsible gambling
The following are some of the tops recommended Nigerian sports betting sites that meet the mentioned requirements:
Welcome Bonus: 50% up to ₦20k
- Has a great selection of soccer odds from across the world
- The betting platform is beginner-friendly and easy to navigate
- Offers lots of bonuses and special promotions
- It works on all devices, including smartphones, tablets and personal computers
- Offers full-time customer support through different communication channels
Welcome Bonus: up to ₦100k
- Offers a safe and secure betting environment
- Has a wide diversity of sports betting options
- Offers highly competitive odds on all events
- Full-time customer support through different communication channels
Welcome Bonus: 100%
- Prioritizes on customer satisfaction
- Rewards excellent bonuses and promotions
- Has the great emphasis on football betting markets
- All data is encrypted using the latest 128-bit SSL encryption software
- Accepts a wide range of banking options
Welcome Bonus: 200% up to ₦100k
- Offers the best welcome bonus in Nigeria
- Has numerous promotional offers
- Has a great online casino with entertaining games
- Delivers the best experience across all devices
- Great sportsbook with lots of football markets
Welcome Bonus: 100% up to €100
- Has a visually appealing and intuitive website
- Easy and effortless registration
- Fast and secure transaction methods
- Offers both sports and online casino games
- Provides excellent customer support 24/7
Welcome Bonus: 100% up to €100
- The world’s biggest sportsbook offering EPL and other games
- Offers free live streaming or sports and live betting
- Has a beautiful and professional casino site
- Supports secure and trustworthy payment options
- The website is compatible with all devices
Online sports betting is a booming business in Nigeria. There are lots of sportsbooks that are licensed to offer punters with the best sports betting services. The sportsbook offers decent odds, lucrative bonuses, and great betting opportunities. Players from Nigeria will find locally available payment options to move money to and from their accounts. Sign up at any Nigerian sports betting site for the best betting experience.